Signed in as:
Signed in as:
· Rates of type 2 diabetes are rising, and this has led to early death, and preceded by many years of poor health.
· Research shows that type 2 diabetes is reversible
· Current treatments focus on the use of medications to reduce blood sugars. Blood sugars reduce, but the cause of the disease is not treated so damage continues and medication is progressively increased over time.
· We train your staff to run the program.
· Your staff has input in the design of the program.
· A range of Medicare items can be utilised to pay for each visit. Depending on the structure of your clinic, it is estimated that each patient that completes the program can bring in excess of $1,400 per year in Medicare rebates.
· Every person who completes the program will see a reduction in blood sugars, blood pressure, and in many cases medications.
An independent study was completed by a team of researchers on our program in Western Sydney. You can read the study here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/1753-6405.13092
Whilst lowering their HbA1c will be our primary goal, there are a range of other indicators of success:
· HbA1c <7% - Research has shown that current programs achieve this in less than 50% of patients. We will aim to achieve this in at least 75% of patients.
· Weight loss of 5%-10% initial body weight
· Systolic blood pressure <140 and diastolic blood pressure <95
· Reduction in medications
· Education of patients to enhance self-management
Participants are initially provided with a basic plan that is quite simple to follow and consists primarily of fresh, unprocessed foods. Recipes consist of few ingredients and are very easy to prepare. Many recipes have instructional videos which makes preparing the meals so much easier.
For those on a budget we will also provide my ‘Cheap Eats’ plan, where they will be able to prepare 21 main meals and 14 snacks each week for just $47 per week at the checkout.
With the exercise program we like to start nice and easy. The participants start with just a 20-30 minute walk each day, but if they are motivated and have a recent history of regular exercise we provide them with a range of other options.
Education play a major role in our program and it starts right from the beginning. The patient will receive a series of 3-5 minute videos that cover the common obstacles most people come across when trying to lose weight. We provide them with simple strategies that can be implemented into any lifestyle. They receive 1 a day for the first 10 days and then one ever 2-3 days after that.
Apart from the great results on the scales, our daily motivational text messages are probably the most popular part of our program. Each day the patient will receive a 30-90 second video that will help them get the day started right. I had previously found that people were always highly motivated when leaving my office but within days that motivation tended to wane. However, patients now report that these daily SMS messages keep their head in the game for the whole week!
Patient Contact and Support
Apart from the daily SMS’ and email contact, the participants will also have regular face to face contact at the location. They will have access to Ray and his team through email, SMS and his closed Facebook page.
Whilst our program is research-based and proven to work within community, it does so because we work in with those who understand the local issues and these adjustments are made to the program. Our goal is to have the individual and the community self-manage for the future so it is imperative that they have input into the program.